Brussels sprouts will never taste the same again after this dish. The colourful combination of Brussels sprouts with sun-dried tomatoes, barley, yellow beet and white cabbage is delicious. I prefer when the sprouts are roasted up front in the oven, so they take up the olive oil and spices.
Season: autumn, winter
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- 90gr barley
- 12 Brussels sprouts
- 90gr sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/6th of a white cabbage
- 2 yellow beets
- one clove of garlic
- some olive oil
- pepper, salt, thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary
Ingrediënten voor 2-3 porties (Dutch)
- 90gr gerst
- 12 spruiten
- 90gr zongedroogde tomaten
- 1/6e van een witte kool
- 2 gele bieten
- een teentje knoflook
- beetje olijfolie
- peper, zout, tijm, basilicum, oregano, rozemarijn
- Cut the sprouts in half. Take an oven dish, fill it with the sprouts, some olive oil, pepper, salt, thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary and mix. Roast for 30 minutes in an oven on 180 degrees.
- Wash the yellow beets. Add them to a pot of boiling water and boil for 40 minutes (prick through them with a fork to see if they are ready). Remove the peel and cut the beets in small pieces.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and white cabbage in small pieces.
- Cook one volume of barley in two volumes of water.
- Bake the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and white cabbage in a pan for 10 minutes.
- Add the yellow beet and sprouts and continue cooking for a few minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Add the barley and add some pepper, thyme, basil, oregano and rosemary.