Veggie balls, yum! This dish contains lentil balls with a tomato sauce with chili beans, carrots, mushrooms and capers. I use homemade tomato sauce and not canned tomato sauce, it tastes so much better when it’s homemade. This dish requires a bit more preparation and time than usual – but you will see it’s worth it.
Season: summer, autumn, spring, winter
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
- 2,2kg ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 carrots (I used orange, yellow and purple carrots)
- 350gr mushrooms
- 4 small onions
- 300gr chili beans
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- optional: 4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- pepper, parsley, basil, coriander, chili powder and paprika powder
Ingredients for 10-12 lentil balls
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 90gr green lentils
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- paprika powder, chili powder, pepper
- half a handful of pecans
- bit of salt
Ingrediënten voor 4-6 porties (Dutch)
- 2,2kg rijpe tomaten
- 2 teentjes knoflook
- 5 wortels (ik gebruikte oranje, gele en paarse wortels)
- 350gr paddenstoelen
- 4 kleine uien
- 300gr chilibonen
- 2 eetlepels kappertjes
- optioneel: 4 eetlepels Griekse yoghurt
- peper, peterselie, basilicum, koriander, chilipoeder en paprikapoeder
Ingrediënten voor 10-12 linzenballetjes (Dutch)
- 1 kleine ui
- 1 teentje knoflook
- 90gr groene linzen
- 4 zongedroogde tomaten
- paprikapoeder, chilipoeder, peper,
- half handje pecannoten
- beetje zout
Recipe for the lentil balls
- Wash and inspect the lentils.
- Cook water (twice the amount of the lentils). Add the lentils and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot and let it soak for another 5 minutes. Drain the lentils and add a bit of salt.
- Chop the onion, sun-dried tomatoes, pecans and garlic in small pieces.
- Add all together and mix in a blender. Create small balls with your hands.
- Bake for 30 minutes in an oven on 200 degrees.
- Take a pot of water, add the chili beans, shield the pot and keep this in the fridge for about 8 hours. The chili beans will grow in size, so add enough water.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Chop them in pieces and cook for about 1 hour, until you have tomato sauce. I do not remove the peel for tomato sauce, but if you don’t like this, you can remove the peel.
- Cook the chili beans for about an hour.
- Chop the onion, carrots and mushrooms.
- Bake the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and paprika powder.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and capers and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the (optional) Greek yogurt and spices.
- Serve with some fresh parsley and the lentil balls.